Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Selective Hearing


Being a parent has brought much joy into my life, along with many other things. It has brought out the good, bad and ugly sides of me, that I did not even know I had. Our middle son,Jacob is deaf and I will never forget one day in Walmart, he did not want to listen to me so he closed his eyes, so there I am leaning into the cart trying to pry his eyes open and talk to him- wasn't funny then but now, I think back of how, I must have look crazy!

I remember seeing a Hallmark movie about a boy who was left in a town and he never spoke and everyone in the town thought He was deaf, so they all told their secrets to him and one day he was a witness and had to go to court and they all learned he could hear and speak and he could tell their secrets.... Scary!!! Now my other two kids can hear very well but at times I think they have selective hearing ..they never heard the part about clean your room!!

In Our Life group we are studying in Mark and How Jesus was ministering to people and a religious man came and ask him to come to his daughter, she was dying, On his way a woman had touched him... All the while the crowd was wanting him to help them, the disciples wonder what he was doing and then when he got to the man's house, the people were sad cause she had died. Ever Notice that Jesus never allowed the voices around him to sway him from what His purpose was? It is amazing that Jesus could ignore all of them and stick with His purpose.. So many times the" committee in my head", talks me out of things, condemns me and sometimes what People have said to me in the past has filled my head with insecurity or what I think of myself , starts to condemn me with doubts and fears... All these can and has kept me from the purpose He has called me... (Mark 5:36.. saids Jesus.. ignoring what they say.. ) WOW, Jesus had selective hearing..Not always a bad thing.. So the next time voices are wanting your attention, some good intentions and some just trying to keep you from doing what God has called you to do.. ask yourself... WWJD?..... Have selective hearing and Ignore them!!!

1 comment:

Grace on the Narrow Path said...

Lisa,
Great post! Selective hearing is practiced at our house too. I love reading Jesus's words. He always spoke simply; His words easy to understand. I can relate to simple, believe ME!
Now, let's talk about you trying to open Jacob's eyes! TOO FUNNY! I can just see you two in Walmart. LOL.)
God bless you sister friend and your work with your Life Group.
Bren