Monday, March 2, 2009

Love the Souvenirs..NOT!!!

Lately , I have been trying to organize my pictures and closets . I have come across a lot of things I had totally forgot about. Duane and I have travel some before we had kids and then vacationed with the kids, We have acquire some souvenirs. I guess at the time, we thought we would like to have the souvenirs to remind of the trips but now looking at them,"What were we thinking?"....Then there are those things that have come from friends and family, who went on vacation and brought it back, saying" We saw this and thought of you .. " This is scary,Makes you wonder, What exactly do they think of us and Do they really like us? Just Kidding ( sorta)
My kids have receive the T-Shirt that said "My parents went to.... and all I got was this lousy shirt" Now , looking back at those souvenirs, some are pretty lousy...

Philippians 3:8 "All things are worth nothing compared with the greatness of Knowing Christ Jesus my Lord." In reading this verse, I wondered how many souvenirs I have acquired over the years serving Christ but not in Knowing Him. Did I go to Israel just to get my fish plate or my Nativity or was it to see the places where Jesus had been and talked about? Did we go out west to get the T-Shirt or was it to see the Beauty and wonder of God's creation? The souvenirs were not the reward, the trips were!........ I have many times serve Christ to get the praise, the fulfillment of getting results done, pride in using my spiritual gifts to their fullest...Even some of time , to think I could have God's favor through, things, people, status..... When compared to Knowing Christ, is worth nothing!!!! I have missed it.... I have been on the right road trip but focusing on the souvenirs as my REWARD, Which when it is over, I look at and wonder what was I thinking? Why did I buy into that? The reward of being a Christian is not...having money, health, beauty, fame, success. etc... The Reward is fellowship with Jesus. Walking and Talking with Him, learning about Him and from Him. Listening to His heart and pouring out yours.... He who made the universe and all that is in it.. wants to fellowship with me!! Now that is the Best Reward, why settle for just the souvenirs?

No comments: